2007-03-11

my tale of woe


My iBook died yesterday. It was working fine, we set it down, came back to it, and the screen was black. Tried to restart it, and it came on with the fan running full blast, and no startup chime. Uh oh. Tried a few basic diagnostics, but nothing worked. Everything ended up with about 20 seconds of working time, and then poof! Black screen.

Being Saturday, I didn't have much time to figure it out until the evening. It turns out it's the infamous iBook G4 logic board "issue", which involves a loose connector on the graphics processor. You can get the machine to work by applying pressure on the case, just under the 'option' key, on the palm rest. Here's what I used to keep the pressure on while I did an emergency backup of all the data... good ol' Heinz!


2 comments:

DBush said...

I count 41 icons on your desktop. Maybe you need some help from http://foggynoggin.com/desktopple

;-)

I think a nice exotic beer would be much more fashionable. (but then of course, more tempting to empty quickly).

Duncan and Jen said...

oh sad sadness! a moment of silence for the fallen mac.