2006-08-21

1 Corinthians 13:1-2 for the geek

1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not my iPod, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not my Blackberry, I am nothing.

- a reprise from my thoughts on the weekend

I think the worst combination in the world has to be a love of tech gadgets and a love of comparison shopping. There's so many permutations and stats to compare between models, between configurations. Like when shopping for a digital camera, sites like www.dcresource.com just feed the fire. You can do a search on various models, and include certain features that you really want, and then it spits out a list of all the cameras that meet your criteria.

Or the MacPro... rather absurdly, Apple declares that there are 4.9 million possible combinations. I already know which one I want... :)

I can spend hours comparing things that I have no real hope of buying. At least I can be thankful I'm a J and not a P (Meyers Briggs)... I think the satisfaction of coming to a decision pushes me to make the decision rather than endlessly filtering more and more information.

Aaaahhhh! I need to get out of this idle-ness! More productive time! Are we, to borrow a phrase, amusing ourselves to death?[a] Why am I even writing this blog?! I should be doing something else more important!

For a week I would love to forgo all the tech news, all the comparison shopping, all the idle dreaming... maybe I just need to unplug... go take pictures or something... :)

I'll still write here, though... it helps me think, I think.

See ya!

[a] Neil Postman: Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business (1985)

technorati tags:, , , ,

Blogged with Flock

2 comments:

DBush said...

Amen

soygreentlatte said...

1. I think that you're both just jealous b/c you don't have/use a blackberry ;)

2. Next time you make a reference to blackberries during service, please don't look at me :)

3. I'm glad that you're keeping your blog b/c I enjoy reading it!