2006-08-24

growing up

Today (Wed) Jackie was tall enough to go into Smaland at the Etobicoke IKEA (they only require a height of 37", whereas the other IKEA requires 39"). It was a momentous day. She's been waiting to be tall enough to go to this play area, and we checked today and she was just over the 37 mark. She was so excited.

So what I hadn't really clued in on was the fact that you DROP YOUR KIDS OFF at this thing. That meant we were down a kid, and we could shop with only one instead of two. Woo hoo!

I must admit I felt a twinge of emotion, probably what you feel when your kid goes off to school for the first time, but decreased by a factor of 10... It was strange, and I hadn't expected it. It was like, wow, she's growing up. She's going into this thing, by herself. Part of me wanted to go with her, just to, you know, be there in case she needed anything... but she was fine. She was more than fine. She was raring to go, and she had a blast. And we had an hour of free child care! :)

I've been thinking about milestones lately. How we measure our lives. In the first weeks and months of our lives, the markers come fast and furious. As they get to 2 and 3, it starts to be more spread apart. I think today was one of those milestones for Jackie. And for her dad.

technorati tags:, , ,

Blogged with Flock

2 comments:

soygreentlatte said...

*sob*

This story reminds me of the day that my legs were long enough to touch the floor when sitting on the bus. Oh wait, that hasn't happened yet.

Anyway, this is a great post!

divine.conspiracy said...

thank you! posting regularly is a challenge, but I'm enjoying it.

everybody keep the comments coming!