2006-08-29

excuses

My iBook's battery is recalled. Again. They were previously recalled when I first got the iBook, and now they are recalled again with the whole Sony battery fiasco.

Well, it's not a fiasco, really. Batteries and laptops have a history of violence. Namely, bursting into flames.

Apple, for their part, is usually very good at recalls, and they take responsibility for problems, even if they aren't responsible for the manufacture of the defective part. One tends to think of Apple as the manufacturer of their computers, but in reality, they are made from parts sourced from the same suppliers and manufacturers that everyone else has to deal with. In fact, the new MacBook is "made" by Asustek.

Tom's thoughts this past weekend about excuses came to mind. Apple gets to shift the blame from itself to the third party manufacturer, in this case, Sony. Some self reflection reveals that I am a hugh procrastinator (no secret) and that I often shift the blame off of myself on to, well, anything or anyone else, really.

The following, from a late 80's Apple ad, is so me:


This has worked for me for 2 decades... why change now? :)

Well, no more. I'm a gonna change my cheatin' ways...

And it's time for the reveal. If you made it this far, you get to find out what "twopuffsofair" means. I went to Australia in 1995 with CTI for two months, and one of the songs we sang was "There's not a crown without a cross" as recorded by Michael English. One of the lines of the song is "to persevere to the end"... but his delivery is kinda mumbly, and it sounded like "two puffs of air". It was kind of our team's inside joke.

So there you have it. No more procrastination. Persevere to the end.

Blogged with Flock

4 comments:

Duncan and Jen said...

yeah it's about time you explained that one! =) now i have iBook battery paranoia.

divine.conspiracy said...

:p
Yeah, you should definitely check your battery to see if it qualifies. Go to https://support.apple.com/ibook_powerbook/batteryexchange/ and check.

soygreentlatte said...

I agree with Candeo - it's about time! There's no way I ever would have guessed that.

Too bad about your battery...

divine.conspiracy said...

did I leave you hanging too long? my bad. yeah, the battery thing is a bummer, but on the plus side, I have a new battery! It's worth checking out. You actually don't have to do much, you just wait till they ship you the new one, and then you put yours in the padded mailer that they send you and send it back. No charge. I like that.